Jackson County, Indiana, History & Picture Archive

Reading: 1886: History of Jackson County, Indiana. Brant and Fuller.

Go to Page: , View pages per screen

Search Available Titles

Previous Page(s) Next Page(s)
 
  
438 HISTORY OF JACKSON COUNTY.
==================================


CHAPTER XII.

SALT CREEK TOWNSHIP.

SALT CREEK TOWNSHIP - INDIANS - WILD GAME - FIRST SETTLERS - WITH
DANIEL BOONE - EARLY ENTERPRISES - RELIGIOUS MEETINGS - DIS-
TILLERIES, ETC. - VILLAGES OF HOUSTON AND FREETOWN.

SALT CREEK TOWNSHIP occupies the northwest portion
of the county, and is bounded on the north by Brown Coun-
ty, on the east by Hamilton Township, on the south by Browns-
town and Owen Townships, and on the west by Lawrence County.
In area it is the largest township of the county, containing
seventy-five square miles, or 48,000 acres. The surface is rough,
hilly and broken, except the two narrow valleys through which
flow the north and south branches of Salt Creek. The soil, ex-
cept in the valleys, is somewhat sterile, and consequently is not
best adapted to the growth of those products requiring excessive
fertility. The surface was, and a considerable portion is yet,
covered with a dense growth of the native trees.


INDIANS.

At the time the first settler made his appearance in Salt Creek
Township the Indians had practically abandoned this territory,
although they were occasionally seen in small bands, and not un-
frequently called at the cabins of the settlers for the purpose of
obtaining ammunition.

This it is said was at one time a favorite hunting spot of the
Piankeshaw tribe, and many of their implements of warfare and
of the chase have been found here. For a few years after the
first settler came to this county, detached bands wandered up


Click to view Original Scan
Previous Page(s) Next Page(s)

Back to start page