430 HISTORY OF JACKSON COUNTY.
REDDING TOWNSHIP - EARLY SETTLERS - SQUATTERS - LAND ENTRIES -
PIONEER LIFE - CHURCHES - ROCKFORD - REDDINGTON.
"There comes a time when all
The sweet attractions life has worn
Have fled, like the autumn leaves that fall,
And leave the bare tree shorn;
And when the old man can recall
But that which makes him mourn." - Monroe.
THE land of what is now Redding Township did not come into
market as early as some other portions of the county, conse-
quently settlements and entries were of a later date. The first
land entry made in this township, according to the Tract Book
now on file in the Recorder's office, was by Miller White in 1818.
There are some doubts as to the correctness of this date, many of
the best informed believing that there was no entry made until
1820, two years later. It is well known, however, that several
families had settled in the township long before the first land
entry was made. The following are the names of a few of the
pioneer settlers who made settlements in different parts of the
township: John Reed, Jacob Watson, Absalom Parker and
Samuel Goodnow. These were in the vicinity of Rockford; the
last named lived near what is now known as the Baldwin place.
Jacob Baldwin, Jacob Scott, Winthrop Young, Edward Fentress,
Richard Williams, James Wilson, Ballard Able, Abraham War-
ner, John Smith, John Baldwin, E. Anderson, William Sullivan,
S. Parker, John Fishli, James Briston, William Smith, Samuel
Prather, one of the Woodmansees, and many others also settled
here at an early day.
Click to view Original Scan|