HISTORY OF JACKSON COUNTY. 413
JACKSON TOWNSHIP - FIRST SETTLEMENT - LAND ENTRIES - PIONEER LIFE
- INDIANS - EARLY PASTIMES - RELIGIOUS - ADVENTURE WITH A BEAR
- NEW FARMINGTON.
It is pleasant yet sad to recall the scenes of the past. Pleas-
ant, because we see the faces of the dear ones; sad, because
the picture is unreal and will vanish like the mists of morning.
The old landmarks are passing away with those who reared them,
and must be noted before they are gone. A few objects here and
there along the pathway of life are preserved and cherished; but
the greater number have been allowed to perish. There are
many important facts connected with Jackson Township in early
years that have passed beyond the hope of recovery. Concerning
the first settlers and dates of settlements, statements are conflict-
ing and unsatisfactory. Man is mortal, and his memory is weak
and uncertain, hence much of the history of the township is
buried in eternal oblivion, and a complete account of the first
settlement of this township could not be obtained.
The first settlement made in Jackson Township was by a man
by the name of Kitchell, in 1813 or 1814. This was made, in
the southern part of the township, and it is believed was not
permanent. It is not known whether he was related to a family
of the same name that settled in the county a few years later or
not. The first land entry was made by Joseph Kitchell in 1814.
A. Arnold made the second in 1815. In 1816 Thomas Newby
and Caleb Elliott, both natives of North Carolina and both
Click to view Original Scan|