HISTORY OF JACKSON COUNTY. 405
HAMILTON TOWNSHIP - TRIALS OF FIRST SETTLERS - TOWNSHIP ORGANI-
ZATION AND GENERAL FEATURES - THE PIONEERS - FIRST LAND PUR-
CHASES - EARLY MILLS - TANNERIES AND DISTILLERIES - FIRST WHITE
CHILD - EARLY CHURCHES - JUDGE LYNCH - COURTLAND.
THE settlement of Jackson County was made under difficul-
ties, and amid hardships and dangers. For one decade
following the first settlement it was almost a daily struggle be-
tween the whites and the savages for possession of the country.
The settlers worked and hunted in squads, with the trusty rifle
for protection. During the period of the Indian war, which
ended in the year 1814, soldiers were kept at the houses of the
white settlers to protect them from savage brutality. For an in-
dividual to be caught from the fort or block-house alone, was
almost certain death, and when those within the walls of the stock-
ade lay down to sleep at night, it was with grave uncertainty as to
whether they would awake in this world or the next. But before the
second decade of the present century had passed away, the power
of the savages began to wane, and despairing of driving out
the pale-faced invader, they resumed their mournful journey
toward the setting sun. As the Indian depredations had ceased
and the dangers that were brooding over the frontier settlements
began to disappear, the tide of immigration rolled hitherward, and
settlements sprang up in every quarter of the county. Nothing
was then left to threaten the lives of the frontiersmen save the
wild and savage animals, and they were soon subdued.
ORGANIZATION, SOIL AND SURFACE, ETC.
Hamilton Township was named in honor of James Hamilton,
Click to view Original Scan|